Back to Library Homepage Your Library Card

banner

 

<= Previous Page Main Menu Next Page =>

 

Messiah English Evangelical Lutheran Church
Putnam Avenue and Richmond Street


The congregation was organized on June 7, 1923, and the Church was incorporated a year later.  Initially, services were held by Rev. John Mohrmann at the local Swedish Lutheran Church, and later at Bryant Chapel. On January 20, 1924, land was purchased on Putnam Avenue and Richmond Street, where the congregation would erect a church and parsonage. The building was erected around 1927.

 

C40874

Messiah English Evangelical Lutheran Church Congregation, circa 1930s
Paul R. Collier, Photographer

 

C21153

Messiah English Evangelical Lutheran Church
Clergy, circa 1930s
Paul R. Collier, Photographer

 

 

Monroe Avenue Methodist Episcopal Church
340 Monroe Avenue


The Monroe Avenue M. E. Church originated in 1876 with families in the Evona section of Plainfield. On April 5, 1891, the Plainfield M.E. Church (First Methodist Church) officially dedicated its Monroe Avenue Mission. Groundbreaking for the church occurred on June 1, 1898. It was originally known as the Union Chapel of Evona.  In 1960, the church moved to Plainfield Avenue and Pershing Placein South Plainfield and changed its name to the Wesley United Methodist Church. The original building was sold to the Calvary Baptist Church in 1960.

 

C21178

Monroe Avenue Methodist
Episcopal Church, circa 1930s
Paul R. Collier, Photographer

 

R241

Monroe Avenue Methodist
Episcopal Church
Vintage Postcard, Postmark 1906

 

<= Previous Page Main Menu Next Page =>

 

 

Connect to Wifi Contact the Webmaster Ask us a Question Terms & Conditions Facebook Twitter
Facebook Twitter