Back to Library Homepage Your Library Card

banner

 

<= Previous Page Main Menu Next Page =>

 

Saint Andrew's Episcopal Church
412 Clinton Avenue


St. Andrew’s was incorporated on October 22, 1920. Until then, it was known as the Church of the Heavenly Rest.  Lay reader, Charles Lewis, conducted the first service on February 9, 1879 in his Evona home.  The church was built on the corner of Clinton Avenue and West Fifth Street in 1883.  The Parish Hall was damaged by fire in 1948.

 

C2144

Saint Andrew's Episcopal Church
Circa 1930s
Paul R. Collier, Photographer

 

C40877

Saint Andrew's Episcopal Church
Circa 1920s
Paul R. Collier, Photographer

 

 

Saint Mark's Episcopal Mission
722 St. Mary’s Avenue


In 1903, the Grace Church Mission was organized as an African-American mission; it is now the St. Mark’s Church. Originally, the mission worshipped at Grace Church Parish, but soon moved to the Masonic Hall at West Front Street and Madison Avenue.  Next, it moved to the Masonic Hall on St. Mary’s Avenue where, in 1914, it became the St. Mark’s Mission. On March 19, 1947, the mission became the official parish of St. Mark’s Church. In 1978 the church moved to their current location in a former Seventh-Day Adventist Church building at 1430 Park Avenue.

 

C2177

Saint Mark's Episcopal Mission
Circa 1930s
Paul R. Collier, Photographer

 

<= Previous Page Main Menu Next Page =>

 

 

Connect to Wifi Contact the Webmaster Ask us a Question Terms & Conditions Facebook Twitter
Facebook Twitter