Notary Service at the Plainfield Public Library
Download our Notary Service brochure
The Plainfield Public Library offers Notary Public services for the benefit of the residents of our community. The following guidelines will be followed in the provision of Notary Service:
- Notary Services are available during the Library's hours of operation and are not available in the fifteen (15) minutes after the time of opening or prior to the time of closing.
- Customers seeking Notary Service should call the Library prior to their visit to ensure that the Notary is available. The Notary can be reached by calling 908-757-1111 ext. 139. Notary Service is not guaranteed to customers who do not call in advance to make an appointment.
- Notary Service is provided on a first-come, first-serve basis.
- Valid government-issued photo identification is required of any customer seeking Notary Service.
- Notary Service is limited to three (3) documents per person, per visit.
- As of September 2, 2014 there is a charge of $2.50 per document notarized. Cash and credit cards are acceptable forms of payment. Checks are not accepted.
- Documents in any language other than English will not be notarized at this facility.
- Notary Service is NOT available for Deeds, Mortgages, Wills, Living Wills, Living Trusts, Codicils or Depositions.
- In situations where a witness is required the Library will not provide witnesses, and witnesses may not be solicited from customers using the Library. In order to serve as a witness, the witness must personally know the individual whose document is being notarized and must be in possession of valid photo identification.
- Certain public documents cannot be copied and notarized. Examples of these are birth certificates, death certificates, and marriage certificates.
- New Jersey Notarial Law requires that a Notary and the customer seeking notarization be able to communicate directly with each other. The Library Notary is not permitted to make use of a translator to communicate with a Notary Service customer.
- In accordance with New Jersey Notarial Law, Notaries will not provide service if the customer, document or circumstances of the request for Notary Service raise any issue of authenticity, ambiguity, doubt or uncertainty for the Library. In this event, the Library Notary may, at his/her sole discretion, decline to provide Notary Service.
Approved by the Library Director