title

Tepper's Department Store

Brothers Adolph and Max Tepper opened for business on West Front Street in 1907.  The building remembered today as “Tepper’s” opened across the street in 1919.  The Plainfield Courier-News reported: “In developing their own business, Tepper Brothers are going to add very materially to the mercantile greatness of Plainfield.” The building was expanded twice and shoppers flocked to the store from surrounding communities until reduced sales resulted in the store closing on May 7, 1977.  Although the building is still standing, the facade was modified in the mid -1960s.  It was converted to apartments in 2005.

Other major department stores in Plainfield were Bamberger’s, which later became Macy’s; Montgomery Ward; Rosenbaum’s; Sears; and Steinbeck’s.

EPHEM2
Advertisement, n.d.

10399
Snowy view of Tepper's, n.d.
Paul Revere Collier
EPHEM1
Fall & winter fashions catalog,, 1914-1915.
C20400
Window-Deltox Rugs, 1939.
Paul Revere Collier
C20401
Window-Hickok Belts, 1939.
Paul Revere Collier
C21264
Under Construction, n.d.
Paul Revere Collier
C21313
Tepper's side view, n.d.
Paul Revere Collier
U4166
Tepper's Front Street, n.d.
Unknown photographer
U4176
Tepper's Italianate style facade, n.d.
Unknown photographer
C20399
Window-Father's Day Old Spice, 1939
Paul Revere Collier

V7271
Front Street view during Art Festival with, n.d.
T. J. Lowe

postcard
Tepper's - View from
Front Street, n.d.
Vintage Postcard

 
Map