Employment Opportunities at Plainfield Public Library
Children's Library Assistant F/T (Printable Version)
Experienced, creative, and personable Library Assistant sought to assist staff in the Children’s Library.
Under the supervision of the Assistant Director and the Children’s Library professional staff, the Library Assistant will assist customers with library catalog and Internet computers; assist in all programming including crafts, puppet shows and story times and support department staff with a variety of general office tasks. Schedule includes evenings and weekends.
- Self-motivated and friendly
- Able to work a varied schedule, including evening and weekend hours
- Interacts well with children from ages Pre-K to 8th grade
- Interest in children’s literature and programming
- Flexibility to adapt to changing situations
- Manual dexterity to assist with crafts
- Physical ability to lift library materials and push fully loaded carts of library materials
- Basic knowledge of library procedures
- Ability to perform routine clerical tasks
- Computer and keyboarding skills, including use of the internet
Commitment to Customer Service
- Demonstrates a patron-centered attitude in dealing with children and their caregivers
- Experience with children in a library or educational setting preferred
- Ability to speak Spanish is desirable but not required
The multi-award-winning Plainfield Public Library (www.plainfieldlibrary.info) serves a diverse community of 50,000 in Central New Jersey. This large facility is open 64 hours/week. This is a Civil Service position with excellent medical benefits and professional development opportunities. Salary range $25,000 - $30,000 based on experience, 35 hr./wk. Position currently available and will remain open until filled.
Send cover letter, resume, and two letters of reference to Mary Ellen Rogan, Assistant Director, 800 Park Avenue, Plainfield, NJ 07060; fax at 908-754-0063; email email@example.com
Part-Time Tech Desk Library Assistant
The Plainfield Public Library is looking for a part-time Library Assistant with excellent Customer Service skills to work at our Tech Desk, assisting patrons with our public computers. Intermediate to Advanced computer skills including proficiency with Microsoft Office 2007, Internet Explorer, and Firefox are required. The position is for 20 hours per week with a schedule of 5-9 Monday thru Thursday and 9-1 on Friday. From June 16-September 1st the hours will be 5-9 Monday thru Wednesday and 9-1 on Thursday and Friday. The starting rate is $12.10/hour.
Library experience, familiarity with the Comprise SAM software, and being bilingual (English/Spanish) are preferred but not required.
If interested, please send your Resume and Cover Letter to the Head of Public Services, Tina Marie Doody, at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 908-757-1111 x139 for more information.