Public Computer Access
The Library offers a variety of computer-related services for all ages. Free wireless access is available throughout the Library via the PPLWIFI network. Users of the Library's machines may use their Plainfield Public Library card (Plainfield Residents), home Library Card (non-residents in MURAL or LMxAC locations), or Guest Pass (guest passes are restricted to individuals ages 18+). Residents of North Plainfield and any other community whose libraries do not have an exchange agreement with Plainfield may obtain a Plainfield Public Library card for an annual fee of $35. The card is valid for one year from date of payment and allows users full access to the public computers and all Library services.
Library cards and Guest Passes are non transferrable. Only the person whose name appears on the Guest Pass log sheet, library card application, or in the library record in the case of MURAL and LMxAC card holders, may use the library card. Unauthorized usage will result in the confiscation of the library card. The true owner will need to retrieve the card from the library with photo ID. Please contact the Circulation Desk for more information.
All patrons receive one free page of printing per person per day. All additional printing is $0.20 per page. Money can be added to your account at the Circulation Desk. Library cards and Guest Passes must be present in order to add money for printing.
ADULT SERVICES - MAIN FLOOR
The computers on the Library's main level are restricted to users age 14 and over. Session time limits for computer use on the main floor include one hour for the Public Access machines (Internet & MS Office access), and 30 minutes for our "Express" stations (Internet & MS Office access), The Library's Express computers (30 minutes) will be available for free guest passes all hours the library is open. If patrons need time above their initial free 30 minutes they can request additional time at the Reference Desk. Patrons using their Library Card are allowed a total of 2 hours of computer use per day. All patrons under 18 must have permission from a parent or guardian on file in order to use the computers.
- 22 computers with free Internet access and Microsoft Office for all patrons 14 and older.
- 2 public access stations for access to the card catalog.
- 16 computers with word processing capabilities, with access to resume templates to aid in job searches as well as other features of the suite in our Job Search Assistance Center.
- 1 computer set up specifically for our Spanish-speaking patrons complete with a Spanish keyboard.
- Access to subscription databases for specialized research, including auto repair manuals, magazine and journal articles, test preparation materials, and much more.
- Free wireless internet access throughout the Library.
CHILDREN'S LIBRARY- LOWER LEVEL
The computers on the Library's lower level are restricted to users age 13 and under. The session time limit for computer use in the Children's Library is one hour. Patrons are allowed a total of 2 hours of computer use per day. All patrons under 18 must have permission from a parent or guardian on file in order to use the computers.
- 10 computers with free Internet access and Microsoft Office
- 2 computers for access to the card catalog.
- 3 AWE preschool computers.
COMPUTER TRAINING - UPPER LEVEL
The Library's Job Search Assistance Center offers FREE computer training. The Lab, with up to 16 terminals, is available to the general public and local businesses (users 18 years of age and older) for scheduled classes and open lab hours. If you would like to suggest specific topics, please contact the Head of Public Services at 908-757-1111, ext. 139.