Public Computer Access
The Library offers a variety of computer-related services for adults and youngsters. All computer users must show their Plainfield Public Library card. Plainfield Public Library cards are non transferrable. Only the person whose name appears on the name/signature line of the library card application may use the library card. Unauthorized usage will result in the confiscation of the library card. The true owner will need to retrieve the card from the library with photo ID. Please contact the Circulation Desk for more information.
All patrons receive two free pages of printing per person per day. All additional printing is $0.20 per page. Money can be added to your account at the Circulation Desk. Library cards must be present in order to add money for printing.
ADULT SERVICES - MAIN FLOOR
Session time limits for computer use on the main floor include one hour for the Public Access machines (Internet & MS Office acces), 30 minutes for our "E-mail express" stations (Internet Only), and two hours for the Project PCs (No Internet Access). Patrons are allowed a total of 2 hours of computer use per day. All patrons under 18 must have a signed Internet Permission Slip on file in order to use the computers.
- 20 computers with free Internet access for all patrons 14 and older.
- 4 public access stations for access to the card catalog.
- 18 computers with word processing capabilities, with access to resume templates to aid in job searches as well as other features of the suite.
- 1 computer set up specifically for our Spanish-speaking patrons complete with a Spanish keyboard.
- Access to subscription databases for specialized research, including auto repair manuals, magazine and journal articles, test preparation materials, and much more.
- Free wireless internet access throughout the Library.
CHILDREN'S LIBRARY- LOWER LEVEL
The session time limit for computer use in the Children's Library is one hour. Patrons are allowed a total of 2 hours of computer use per day. All patrons under 18 must have a signed Internet Permission Slip on file in order to use the computers.
- 4 word-processing computers featuring the Microsoft Office Suite and 6 computers with free Internet access for all patrons 13 and under.
- 2 computers for access to the card catalog.
- 3 AWE preschool computers.
COMPUTER TRAINING - UPPER LEVEL
The Library's Job Assistance Computer Center offers FREE computer training. The Lab, with up to 16 terminals, is available to the general public and local businesses (users 18 years of age and older) for scheduled classes and open lab hours. If you would like to suggest specific topics, please contact the Head of Public Services at 908-757-1111, ext. 139.