Back to Library Homepage Your Library Card

banner

 

<= Previous Page Main Menu Next Page =>

 

Saint Stephen's Episcopal Church
Ravine Road near Belvidere Avenue


St. Stephen’s parish was the outcome of a Union chapel that was instituted at Netherwood in 1880. In 1886, chapel trustees offered the building for use by Grace Church, which they did until 1888. In December 1888, a choir and sanctuary were built and an altar was erected. In September 1894, the St. Stephen’s parish was officially formed and approved by the bishop and Diocese of New Jersey. The building is now used by the SCHOOL.

 

C21139

Saint Stephen's Episcopal Church
Circa 1930s
Paul R. Collier, Photographer

 

R1789

Saint Stephen's Episcopal Church
Undated
Vintage Postcard

 

 

 

Shiloh Baptist Church
515-521 West Fourth Street


Established on May 17, 1908, Shiloh was the second church to arise from the Mount Olive Baptist Church.  The Church’s seventeen charter members worshipped initially in Reform Hall.  They purchased the existing structure at 515-521 West Fourth Street and remodeled it to use as the first church building.  Construction was completed in the 1930s.

From the 1950s through the 1990s, the congregation grew extensively and outgrew the existing structure.  The original wooden church was demolished and the land turned into a parking lot. A new Parish House was built and other renovations were completed in 2005.

 

C21173

Shiloh Baptist Church
Circa 1930s
Paul R. Collier, Photographer

 

C21086

Shiloh Baptist Church Congregation, 1943
Paul R. Collier, Photographer

 

 

<= Previous Page Main Menu Next Page =>

 

Connect to Wifi Contact the Webmaster Ask us a Question Terms & Conditions Facebook Twitter
Facebook Twitter