Back to Library Homepage Your Library Card

banner

 

<= Previous Page Main Menu Next Page =>

 

Mount Olive Baptist Church
216 Liberty Street


Mount Olive Baptist Church was organized in 1870 and groundbreaking for what was to be Plainfield’s first Black church occurred on March 1, 1871 at the intersection of Third and Liberty streets. The first pastor was Rev. John Cary and the congregation consisted of fourteen members.  The church grew rapidly to 500 members, but declined as branch churches were organized: Shiloh Baptist and Calvary Baptist.

 

C21152

Mount Olive Baptist Church
Circa 1920s-1930s
Paul R. Collier, Photographer

 

C21709

Pastor, Mount Olive Baptist Church
Circa 1930
Paul R. Collier, Photographer

C21511

Pastors and Early Builders of Mount Olive Baptist Church
Circa 1930
Paul R. Collier, Photographer

 

 

Mount Zion African Methodist Episcopal Church
527 West Fourth Street


The Mount Zion A. M. E. Church began on July 26, 1892. The first chapel was built on West Fourth Street in 1893; it was known as “Little Mount Zion Church.” In 1925, a new church building, “Greater Mt. Zion,” was completed.

C21176

Mount Zion A. M. E. Church
Circa 1930s
Paul R. Collier, Photographer

 

<= Previous Page Main Menu Next Page =>

 

Connect to Wifi Contact the Webmaster Ask us a Question Terms & Conditions Facebook Twitter
Facebook Twitter